Insanity Quilt

Friday, February 25, 2011

Buttercream finished with scalloped edge + Owl Minkee Baby Quilt


Buttercream turned out nice and old fashioned looking after a rinse and machine drying.  With the flannel backing, it is the kind quilt you want to crawl under while sitting on the couch, which is my favorite thing to do at the end of the day!

I quilted a regular stipple meander.The scalloped edge was bound with a single fold binding cut at 1 and 1/4 inch. This was my first scalloped edge and I enjoyed doing it and the results.


A good friend became a grandmother again. This time to a baby boy. The LQS I work at carries the cutest, softest minkees. I loved these funny owls with their big round staring eyes!

I quilted a meandering circles pattern to match the pattern on the brown and white flannel. I originally was going to put ric rac on the edges but stitched too close to the edge, so luckily  I had enough of the minkee left to to do a binding. It turned out kind of chunky but I like it and it is the softess edge.

Thanks to my trusty Brother 4500d and my Embird software, I embroidered his name and birthdate on the quilt.

I have never been the huge-est fan of minkee, but holy mackerel, is it soft and makes quite the cuddly quilts. So, I have crossed over to a semi fan, even though, flannel is still my favorite choice for a soft backing.

2 comments:

BubzRugz said...

Beautiful quilts... I do love the feel of flannel too ...
Thanks for your kind comment on my QAYG post for Sew We Quilt... glad you enjoyed it .. and had a laugh too... hope you had time for a snack!!
Hugz

Tonya Ricucci said...

wonderful! this is beautiful. I love love how minkee feels. Whenever a shop carries it I have to go over and pet it. one of these days I need to make a lap blanket with that on the back - mmmmmm.