Insanity Quilt

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Bookkeeping Week

After four years of flying by the seat of my pants with my bookkeeping for my quilting biz, I went back through this week to come up with the actual total amounts invested less any profits, to know how much I really have put into the business, and get myself back on quickbooks with a nice neat balance sheet.

With my mom's care and pre-mental-pause syndrome, and general lazy tendencies,  I have been getting my income and expenses for the income tax return, and had my depreciation, but no balance sheet with the all of $ draws and items I had purchased but didn't include in my tax return. Now, I am caught up with the dreaded paper/computer work. Phew.

Well, my dear mom and dad have been gone for 2 years now, so I can't keep using my mom as an excuse, although, I think she would happily accept responsibility, the fun loving gal that she was. 

The bottom line I found is that if I sold my machine I would break even with a little profit, at this point, after four years as  a part time business. So, on the bright side, from here I can keep in the positive and try new things as a business, or just do personal and charity quilts.   

Chores:

 We planted a nice new ground cover on our slope over the past three weeks. It is called 

 dymondia-margaretae or "silver carpet"

Picture of slope with "silver carpet"


It is supposed to take 6 months to fill in completely from the little  3 inch plantings.
Here is our first plantings. Now 3/4 of the slope is done. DH and two "happy" helpers


 It is supposed to keep the weeds down and it is a nice low lying dense, drought tolerant plant. I hope it takes. We are being very diligent with our weeding and watering so far ( the last 14 years, not so good).

Now, I can get back to piecing and quilting! Happy days!

No comments: